You’re putting your house on the market, but it could use a little work. Instead of doing a massive renovation and potentially losing money, consider doing some small, simple fixes that increase its desirability to prospective buyers.
All over the house
The first inexpensive fix is to paint. Consider refreshing rooms that look shabby, have wallpaper, or that are painted loud colors that might turn off certain home buyers. Paint these areas in a pleasant, neutral color (that’s not stark white).
Think about other, smaller fixes, too:
- Replace burnt-out lightbulbs
- Replace dated or worn-out doorknobs
- De-clutter and remove extra accessories
- Perform a deep clean throughout the home
- Install new lighting in high-traffic areas
- Clean up your attic and basement
Buyers look for clean, well-maintained homes. Even if your house is in great shape, if it looks shabby, buyers might think there are larger problems to fix.
Kitchens and bathrooms
When it comes to kitchens and bathrooms, don’t do a total remodel right before you put your home on the market—it can be tough to recoup the entire investment.
Instead, consider these simple fixes:
- Replace outdated hardware
- Add a tile backsplash
- Update flooring
- Refinish cabinets (instead of replacing them)
- Purchase a new toilet or sink, if needed
- Deep clean and scrub
- Add extra storage, either through installing an extra cabinet in the bathroom or adding a rolling cart or island to the kitchen
Small cosmetic touches can really make your kitchen and bathrooms shine.
Once you’ve cleaned up the interior of your home, don’t forget about sprucing up the outside. Curb appeal is huge to buyers—don’t deter a potential buyer before they even set foot in your house.
- Mowing the lawn
- Fertilizing and watering your lawn
- Trimming hedges and bushes
- Planting new flower beds
- Painting or replacing your front door
- Replacing your mailbox
- Cleaning up your garage and driveway
Turn to the experts at Austin Summit Group
If you’re thinking about selling your house in Austin or the surrounding areas, lean on the experienced agents at Austin Summit Group. Our team of seasoned professionals can give you the guidance and service you need. Call the office right away at (512) 250-0253.