Moving can be one of the most stressful processes in one’s life. As one of the leading real-estate companies in Austin, we know this better than anyone. There are so many variables to think about: organizing, getting boxes, packing, moving trucks, making sure nothing is broken, coordinating the family, and more. Here are 5 simple tips that can save you money and actually make moving fun!
- Take advantage of FREE moving boxes: There are plenty of places to find free moving boxes, and some you might not have even heard of. Try places like Freecycle.org, Craigslist, Barnes & Noble, Costco, the Dollar Store, or Trader Joes.
- Pack your dishes so they don’t break! Get a pack of foam plates to place in between your glass plates to protect them from breaking. Use phone book paper or clothing to wrap your glasses and mugs. Pack all your breakables in smaller boxes with a ton of padding! The more padding, the better!
- Find a reliable storage unit in Austin! Where are you going to place your valuables that won’t be going into your new house? Check out Extra Space Storage, they give you your first month FREE and have amazing prices. They also allow you to receive 20% discount off of your moving truck rental if you choose to use their partner company.
- Learn the magic of saran wrap. Take the lids off of your toiletries, cover them with saran wrap, and then put the tops back on to keep them from leaking while you pack them away. Cover your clothing drawers with Glad Press’n Seal so you can move your dressers with ease and not have to take all the contents out over and over again.
- Organize your electronics! Before you take apart any of your electronics (EX. TV, stereo system, desktop) make sure to take a picture of how they are connected. This will help remind you perfectly how everything is plugged in once you start connecting systems in your new home.
Don’t let moving be a pain! Take these tips, add your own, and enjoy! Moving into a new home is like starting a new chapter of life, so remember to start your new chapter off on a good note and have fun!